...

domingo, 4 de enero de 2015

Cuentos que me Apasionaron - Ernesto Sábato

Rating: 
06/09/13

This book starts with a heartbreaking prologue. A couple of lines that shows you the quality of this author (this is if you haven't had the fortune of reading his work yet). In the final years of his life, he decided to share with us the stories that he loved, that he never forgot. He wanted us to get to know those authors because he thought it really was worth it. Jeez, he was right. This book alone will take you to other universes, and let me tell you (even though my opinion doesn't change a thing), you won't regret it. There is a couple of writers I have never heard of, and now, they are my next stop. (Well, after I read that Tower of Babel I have as a to-read shelf. There's so much to do and so little time. If only I could be paid just for existing, eating and reading... Fine. Babbling over.) 

Most of them are considered “classics”, but that does not mean they are unapproachable, difficult to understand and all that. Actually, several classics aren't. That specific word may lead some judgmental people to the silly conclusion that we are talking about difficult books that make you look smarter (even if they do... for me, it is annoying to listen to a person brag about it). I tried a lot of genres, but, as a “mostly classic” reader, I personally dislike people that think they are better than the rest because they read those books, or people that think that other people think they are better than the rest because they read those books. It happens, people that don't even know you but still give you the “oh you think you're so smart with your Dostoyevsky and your ego that's taking all over the room” look... those people are everywhere. All in all, it is a matter of taste. (Speaking of an objective review, babbling #2 over.)

I enjoyed reading this book, these stories filled with timeless thoughts and feelings. Sabato also included a little bio of each author, so you can be a bit more prepared. But I don't want to prepare you, at all! I don't want to spoil a single thing. I shall remain in “Siddharta contemplating the talking river” kind of silence, in order to let you read his brilliant selection with all the mystery and excitement intact.





* Photo credit: Book cover via Goodreads.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario